PEOPLE. We all hate doing dishes. Don’t pretend you love it and it’s “relaxing”, because it’s not. And you know what the worst part about cooking is? Cleaning. Especially cleaning up after hurricane Alessandra has swept through the kitchen (just ask my ever patient boyfriend).
The best solution to your hatred for post-dinner cleanup is to make a one pan meal! I mean it. One pan. Delicious, restaurant quality pasta. And BARELY ANY CLEANUP! Aren’t you excited?
Looks amazing right? And it’s super easy. This dish comes together in 20 minutes and will make your tummy very happy.
First start out by pouring 1 Tbs of EVOO into your largest pan over medium heat. Your pan needs to hold everything, so bring out the largest one you have. Then proceed to squeeze the meat out of two Italian sausages (sorry, there’s no non awkward way to word that) right into the pan. It’s easy, just squeeze really hard on one end, and it will pop right out.
Usually I only use Rinaldi sausage, but any type will do! Just make sure it’s Italian sausage.
Break the sausage up into little pieces with a wooden spoon, and cook until sausage is brown (about five minutes).
Scoop your garlic in with the sausage and stir for 30 seconds or until the garlic is browned and fragrant.
Next, pour in your half can of diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, cream, sauce and tortellini. Mix it all up really well and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer until the pasta has puffed up and the sauce has reduced, about 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, generously salt and pepper your pasta and dump on a ton of mozzarella cheese, stirring to melt the cheese and thicken up the sauce.
Finally, throw on about two cups of spinach and stir until the spinach has just wilted. It adds some vitamins and minerals to this carb heavy dish while providing a nice pop of color!
Mmmm so cheesy and…pasta-y? Whatever you want to call it, it’s delicious, and is the perfect Sunday supper! How easy was that?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 mild Italian sausage links
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes (about 7 oz)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 11 ounces fresh tortellini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Squeeze the sausage from the end of the link to remove it from its casing and add directly into the pan. Use a spatula to break up the sausage into bite-sized pieces. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned. Reduce heat to low, then add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, and tortellini to the skillet. Stir to combine. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until tortellini are tender and heated through. Taste the sauce and add plenty of salt and pepper to taste. I used 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, stir to melt. Add spinach and stir until softened and wilted. Remove from heat and serve, sprinkled with parmesan!